Sunday, September 21, 2014

Olav's Chair - Finished!

There was a nice note in my inbox from Olav today along with a couple pictures:

      Hej Brian!
           Mission accomplished, Sir.
               This piece of gargantuaesque artwork got a coat of blended linseed oil and tung oil.
                      Hoping the best for you and your chair.
                             The big CHairmaker shall be with you.
                                  With regards

                                                                   Olav



I think his chair turned out spectacular.  He based this one off of this photo I posted on my blog a while back, a chair that was on an antique dealer's page:
Photo courtesy Paul Dunn Antiques.
This was my favorite chair out of all of the historical examples I posted on an earlier blog.  I was really hoping someone would make it, and it is the one Olav picked.  He really did a nice job on this reproduction, down to the shape of the seat.  He also chose to leave the seat unsaddled, just like the original.

By the way, Olav was really taken with John Brown's book.  He mentioned to me in it that he loved John Brown's phrase, "The Great Chairmaker in the sky."

2 comments:

  1. Olav did, indeed, make a lovely chair! It looks like it would be very comfortable to sit on and the oil finish is gorgeous. John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful chair. I love, love love the grain in the wood and the color. Where is your chair, Brian?

    ReplyDelete